You are here
Total visibility into what's driving the U.S. crude oil market with insight into critical pipelines supplying storage hubs and refineries
Be the first to know about major pipeline shutdowns, start-ups, and flow changes
See where oil has been and where it's going next. Using its proprietary energy monitoring technology, aerial photography and industry expertise, Genscape offers an unprecedented view into critical pipelines supplying storage hubs and refineries in the United States. By providing transparency in this area, Genscape has altered the trading landscape, offering market participants a leading edge platform of knowledge from which to base trading and hedging strategies.
This unique service includes updates on pipeline flows every 30 minutes with the option to download granular and historical data and dig deep into the pipelines of interest to you, as well as daily PDF reports with expert commentary on the previous day’s events. You’ll be the first to know about major events, such as unplanned shutdowns at key pipelines, giving you the opportunity to capitalize on advance notice data.
Genscape's growing coverage network provides hard numbers on supply from new production areas, showing the profound effect of new oil on the market. It also reveals the true extent of the new supply compared to the aspirations of producing companies and local authorities.
You are here
Genscape's Mid-Continent Pipeline Service clients receive:
- Daily Mid-Continent Pipeline PDF report, emailed at 8:30am ET, providing summary information of the previous day’s events with commentary on pipelines of interest
- Pipeline Intelligence reports sent via email as events on the ground warrant an update- reports include expert commentary, granular data and supplementary images
- Half-hourly updates on flows on more than a dozen critical pipelines supplying storage hubs and refineries
- Up to three years of pipeline history highlighting the profound shifts that have roiled the North American market and sent ripples across the global energy landscape
- Option to download granular pipeline data in 30 minute, daily, weekly and monthly increments
- Real-time data feed on Genscape’s pipeline flow dashboard
You are here
Benefits of the Mid-Continent Pipeline Service:
- Calculate implied storage numbers for the key crude oil storage facilities in the United States
- Identify operational supply chain impacts and refinery operational changes when you know where and when oil flow is slowing, picking up or halted
- Capitalize on advance notice, market moving data when you are first to know about major pipeline events
- Use Genscape’s granular data to feed your own models
You are here
How pipeline data is collected
Genscape uses proprietary technology to monitor the power flows on power lines feeding electricity to pumping stations on oil pipelines. This is the same proven strategy and patented technology that Genscape has used to monitor power plants and transmission since 2002. The Genscape power monitors are placed near the power lines but not in the right of way of the utility. The monitors are self-powered, non-contact devices which measure electromagnetic fields generated by the power lines. Using proprietary algorithms, these EMF measurements are transformed into power flow data.
How does the power consumption data relate to flow?
The flow rate model takes into account the elevation gain or loss between a monitored pumping station and the next station downstream. That elevation change and the power usage are used to estimate the pressure differential between the output side of the first pumping station and the input side of the next station downstream. The pressure change calculations take hard limit parameters (minimum and maximum pressure) into account.