You are here
Granular crude oil storage measurements for key storage locations in China
Receive a granular view into Chinese crude oil inventories, with data available down to the tank-level
In China, the true storage capacity, as well as the amount of crude oil being stored as reserves and for commercial uses, has largely remained a mystery. Genscape’s China Crude Oil Storage Report sheds light into the opaque Chinese crude oil market by using optical satellite imagery to provide bi-monthly crude oil inventories, with data available down to the tank level.
Genscape’s new China Crude Oil Storage Report will initially monitor 10 key terminals, accounting for approximately 52 percent of China’s crude storage tank capacity. The initial product offering captures areas supplying crude oil to key state and teapot refineries, as well as petroleum reserves.
In February 2018, Genscape will expand coverage to at least 96 percent of China’s crude oil storage tank capacity, focusing on the largest facilities containing significant strategic petroleum reserves (SPR) first.
Genscape’s storage experts have also made preliminary determinations of SPR or commercial for crude oil storage, allowing traders, analysts, and hedge funds to better understand the crude oil demand in China, a crucial factor in rebalancing the oversupply of crude oil on the market.
Patents: U.S. 8,842,874, 8,717,434,8,676,520, CN ZL 201280009294.3
You are here
Features of the China Crude Oil Storage Report include:
- Tank-level data will be available for approximately 96 percent of China’s total crude oil tank capacity
- China currently has approximately 1.1 billion bbls of crude storage capacity available in above-ground tanks
- All of China’s SPR stored in above ground storage tanks will be monitored by December 2017
- Historical data for all terminals dating back to January 2016
- Genscape data on storage terminals released in stages, reaching 33 port/terminal locations over the year
Month-long trial subscriptions include:
- Prior 6 months of historical data
- Data file that includes:
- Storage field names
- Owner names
- Report dates
- Operational crude oil storage capacity
- Amount of stored crude oil and operational capacity
You are here
Benefits of the China Crude Oil Storage Report include:
- Proven, accurate satellite measurement methodology is calibrated to Genscape’s proprietary aerial tank-level measurements
- Within 3 percent of our traditional fly-over methods for high resolution imagery
- Within 8.5 percent of our traditional fly over methods for low resolution imagery
- Rigorous research ensures we capture crude oil storage, not refined products
- Preliminary designations of SPR vs. commercial storage
- As history is developed, two commercial storage designations will be provided: commercial petroleum reserves and commercial (operational) storage